Friday, March 21, 2008

Doing Something Right

Thursday was the last day of school before a 10-day spring break (but, ha! we've given our little stinkers three projects to busy themselves with over the vacation). The last class at the end of the week is always a real challenge - one I liken to herding cats (it is surprising how much I relate to those fictional catboys). The last class before a long break is infinitely more maddening and just before it we had a pizza party (remember how thrilling those were?) to celebreate the fact that my math remediation class had raised over $1000 for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. There they were served caffeinated beverages and a hardy dose of unconditional praise.

With dilated blood vessels and inflated egos, those kids clamored into my classroom for 84 sweet minutes, in which I did my best to totally pump them up about graphing supply and demand and determining the equilibrium price, which, excuse me, please, is totally thrilling. They were more with me than I would expect given then circumstances when my principal came in to observe for a few minutes. When she scooted towards the door and whispered on the way out, "You've been selected as our New Teacher of the Year."

It's been one of those reflective weeks where I've looked at some of the on the spot decisions that I've made and have been disappointed by them. But I feel like teaching is about learning way more than it is about disseminating content. I am a better teacher than I was when I started in August and perhaps the fact that I do not feel like there is still so much to learn is a sign that I am doing something right.

Thanks for the nod, it feels pretty great.

No comments: