Sunday, March 09, 2008

My New Life

I rolled over this Sunday morning to read 8:30 on my alarm clock - this is a full three hours of decadent sleeping in as I usually rise at 5:30 to mopishly scramble to my outstretch yoga mat before I shower, eat, and drive to school.

When I worked any one of my office jobs, I'd hardly dream of coming in early and certainly if I did it was with the intention of leaving early as well. Now getting in on time makes me a bit nervous and leaving at the end of my contract hours has happened a total of one times.

There is a lot to complain about when you are a teacher and the fact that I put in these 10 to 12 hour days could certainly be at the top of the list. But it is remarkable to have a job that makes you want to work that hard. I know that I'll be eating those words in a month or so - when the whole state is test-crazy and I am recramming information into 100 fatigued little brains. When spring has blanketed the 7th grade with a fresh dusting of hormones and attitude and when all I want to do at 3 pm is clad myself in tank tops and sunglasses and be outside for hours. But, right now, with this new life - I am busy and over-extended - but happy.

No comments: