Thursday, March 27, 2008

Trip to Chicago: Day One

As you may or may not be aware, I am on SPRING BREAK (exclamation point!) and have carted myself off to brisk Chicago to visit two of my very favorite women in the world. But, so far it turns out Chicago has MORE to offer than two hot ladies down for pillow fights in their nighties.

After a really long train ride from the airport, Chris and I had tea while I scarfed any and all snack foods I could get my hands on. We caught up - chatting about bfs, marriage, self-doubt, taxes, and her life in the city. Then we met up with Tyler, who until yesterday was just "my internet friend," whose blog I read a lot when I worked my office job last year. Meeting people you've only ever interacted with through blog comments is sort of strange. You know so much more about them than you should at a first meeting. I found myself interrupting as he started stories to say, "oh yeah, I remember that..." which is totally strange. But I thought it was pretty cool, unless I read his blog later today and he mentions getting drinks with some asshole last night.

Then we ate FREE! burritos with a bunch of Chris's friends and prepared to go see those guys from the Sonic commercials do improv, but it was canceled so we went to a coffee shop and watched a handful of painful open-mic night performances before playing a rousing game of Scategories (which I won) at Gutherie's.

We headed for the L at midnight and waited forever for the train while an ex-theatre kid made everyone nervous by dancing along the beveled blue edge of the platform singing "The blue thing is your friend!!" - I woke up singing his taunting tune myself.

Chris is still asleep. I am afraid to wake her up because she was feeling ill last night and the last time we hung out she felt a little sick before she went to bed and woke up with the plague.

Today the plan is Hopper Exhibit, massages, yummy food, more chats, tea and then...???....it is SPRING BREAK after all.

No comments: