Friday, July 11, 2008

To Kill a Mockingbird

Miso did it this morning. She's the most freaked out skiddish cat inside the house, but outside she is a crazy bird slaying huntress.

I love the novel with which this post shares its name. However, I must respectfully disagree with Atticus Finch. Don't get me wrong it was a horrible sight to see Miso traipse around our side yard with a still twitching bird tucked in her jaws, I don't condone the hunt and it makes me sad even though I tried to remind myself that its just nature out there. These mockingbirds around our house aren't the selfless, innocent creatures the papa of all papas so sweetly spoke of. Ours are the ones that cry through the night and dive bomb all moving things.

I thought, and I know this sounds cruel, but I thought that the mockingbirds might give our area a wider breadth and maybe stop waking me up at 6 am. Instead they saw the attack as an act of war and have spent the entire day squawking and swooping. I'm a little afraid to go outside.

No comments: